Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer Baking

C


hocolate, Coffee Cake


I've been enjoying my summer by doing lots of domestic things.  I've enjoyed baking from scratch, along with my usual crafts.  Don't get me wrong in thinking that I like to cook.  In my opinion, baking is very different from cooking.  I am not good at the improvisation required to be a good cook. To succeed, I need a recipe, specific directions, and precise amounts.  If I have to judge by look as to whether or not something is done, I'm doomed.  But, if the recipe says to keep the item in the oven for 20-25 minutes, I can stick a toothpick in the thing and decide if it's done or not. Moral of the story:  don't ask me to cook if you're dying of hunger, but I could make you a cake and save your life with sugar and the oven.


Anyway, I baked this cake for a co-worker at my school.  It was a chocolate, coffee cake.  I got the recipe for both the cake and frosting from the magazine Real Simple.  It is a really easy and good recipe to follow, as the cake turns out moist and full of flavor.  The frosting wasn't my favorite, but it turned out well enough.  I decorated it with sliced almonds.  I thought about writing on it with icing, but that seemed too sloppy.  I like the more abstract route I took.




I have made three of these cakes to date; one as an experiment, the one I've mentioned for my co-worker, and one for a charity, dessert banquet.  The one pictured directly below was my experiment.




No comments:

Post a Comment