Sunday, September 26, 2010

Housewarming

Potholders

I made these potholders for Paul and Tinisha to celebrate their new house! I guessed on the colors, but it ended up matching their house nicely. If you look closely, you can see the quilting designs. I really like how they turned out. I hope they enjoy using them!


I like making potholders for several reasons. I appreciate it for money reasons, since they are very cheap to make. One fat quarter will yield four 8 or 9 inch squares. I buy two complimenting patterns, and bias tape to wide match. You only use 2 squares on each one, so you can get 4 whole potholders out of 2 fat quarters. Two potholders will use almost one pack of bias tape. The insulating fleece used in the middle is sold by the yard, and you only need one square per holder. To make, they can go fairly quickly, just depending on how elaborately you decide to quilt them. It's a great project to use up scraps, too! I taught my friend Laura how to make them, and she's hooked as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment